Wednesday, January 19, 2011

MALBA

Today we awoke to our first experience of poor weather in Buenos Aires. The whole trip has been hot but beautifully clear and sunny until today. When I boarded the subte this morning, there were signs of showers but when I exited I found myself in a monsoon without an umbrella. I was able to hide out in a little cafe and enjoy a traditional Argentine breakfast of cafe con leche y croissants while waiting for the rain to slow down. Despite the rain, we still made it to school but looking like wet coaties. The plan for the afternoon was to visit Recoleta, the cemetery where Eva Peron is buried, but the rain put a damper on those plans and our group split up for our last free afternoon in Buenos Aires. Some people went to Alto Palermo to enjoy some shopping while another group decided to visit the art museum Malba. Not being a fan of shopping, I decided to attend the latter and had the opportunity to view works of art by Marta Minujin, Diego Rivera, Emiliano Di Cavalcanti, Antonio Berni, Fernando Botero, and many more. I think being a dude and color blind might hinder my ability to appreciate art, but I still enjoyed seeing the creativity of the artists, especially Marta Minujin who has completed "works of art" like the Pantheon made out of books, the Obelisk (the large tower on 9 de Julio in BA) made out of bread, and a room made entirely with mattresses. Altogether it was another great day in Buenos Aires despite the bad weather, and hopefully tonight everyone will be able to find another great restaurant with more amazing Argentine cuisine (Bife de Chorizo being my favorite). Adios!

--Hardy

No comments:

Post a Comment