Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bruschetta, Brazilians, and Beauty

Our third official day in the beautiful city of Buenos Aires was a success! The past couple of days we have really had an opportunity to explore the city and get our bearings--seemingly overwhelming, but actually quite rewarding. Even successfully using Subte, the subway system, is celebrated. The most rewarding aspect of the trip so far is the cross-pollination of cultures; in my class there are the three of us and three students from Brazil. Class time is basically used to learn about the different cultures: we tell them about the United States, they tell us about Brazil, and our professor talks about Argentina. The Brazilians are quite amiable, and I hope we get to spend some out-of-class time with them soon. The most challenging aspect of the trip is the constant Spanish mindset--when I get up in the morning at 6:45, I immediately start my day speaking Spanish to Teresa, my host. I expect that my language skills will drastically improve due to the constant use of the language. Finally, the mix of influences in Argentina is also quite apparent. In class, we heavily discussed the importance of immigration to Argentina's culture. Yesterday at a local cafe, we ordered bruschetta, a traditionally Italian dish. We ate dinner at an Irish pub called Matias, and today we ate lunch at Cafe de Las Violetas. The architecture and menu also demonstrated the heavy Italian influence; one of the Profesoras had a Caprese Salad! I hope to continue to observe the many beautiful places, people, and foods that Argentina has to offer! Hasta luego...


Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment